La Giara Taormina hotspot continues Sicilian la dolce vita
Set in an impressive hillside palazzo in central Taormina, La Giara is one of the cityís chicest eateries known for its be-seen dining room and late-night lounge than the actual culinary prowess of its kitchen. A long and expansive dining room faces the Mediterranean sea with distance views of Mt. Etna over an exaggerated terrace for summer dining and evening cocktails. The setting captures the true beauty of Taormina within a crowd of fashionable weekenders and Southern Italians. The main dining room is set in all white, with canvas slip covered chairs and all-white tabletops set in candlelight since 1953.
payment optionsVisa, MasterCard, American Express
hours6pm-2am, daily (Apr. - Oct.)
table to getWindow
special featuresHip Clientele, Nightclub, Conference Center, Lounge, Bar
Meals begin with sizable appetizers that include a 3-way tuna tartare, terrine of foie gras with crostini and oysters by the dozen. Pasta course is the best section of the menu, with ricotta-stuffed cannelloni, gnocchi with seafood medley and ravioli stuffed with pesto and eggplant. Main course includes hefty grilled fish selections like a rolled swordfish in pomodoro sauce thatís a local staple, fillet of pork in a fruity Marsala sauce or white fish in an artichoke reduction.
After dinner, save room in your liver for a night cap in the adjacent lounge with live music and dancing on weekends.
Historic gourmet tucked away in old Taomina
Archeological eatery in Roman ruins of Taormina
Editorial: Angela Bass
Michelin-star eatery in gothic Taormina palace
36-seat restaurant is one of Italyís top eats
Editorial: Michael Martin
Taormina hotspot continues Sicilian la dolce vita
Terrace eatery with views and nightclub
Editorial: Angela Bass
Top 10 Lists
- Restaurant Openings - May 2013 This Month's Best Restaurant Openings
- Top-10 Celebrity Restaurants Most beloved eateries of the world's rich and famous
- Top-10 Gastronomic Experiences Hot chefs defining a new global food movement
- Top-10 Power Lunch Hotspots Most important meal of the day for business travelers
- Season's Top-10 Beach Clubs Somewhere in the world it's always beach club season
- Top-10 Party Restaurants Restaurants that mix food and late-night party scene